Skip navigation.
Home
Maritime News for Filipino Seafarers

Coast Guard: 7,292 still stranded due to Seniang

Coast Guard: 7,292 still stranded due to Seniang
December 31, 2014 http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/397296/news/nation/coast-guard-7-29...

Over 7,000 people were still stranded in various ports Wednesday due to bad weather conditions from Tropical Storm Seniang (Jangmi), the Philippine Coast Guard said.

It said that as of 4 a.m. Wednesday, a total of 7,292 passengers were stranded along with 16 vessels, 34 motor bancas, and 373 rolling cargos.

Heavy rain and strong winds brought by Seniang had prompted the suspension of trips in Visayas and Mindanao earlier this week.

Many ports resumed operations late Tuesday after Seniang moved toward southern Luzon.

Unruly passengers

But some passengers appeared to be unruly at one of the ports in Cebu, as shown by a video shared by the Cebu provincial government on its Facebook page Tuesday evening.

The 12-second video of one "Azilref Calizar" shared by the provincial government showed people shouting at the Bato Wharf. ).

Calizar said there was "no system," and that the crowd "can't be controlled by (the) Coast Guard."

Earlier, the Cebu Port Authority allowed vessels to ply their routes again except in Tabuelan.

On the other hand, the provincial government also noted the situation at Pier 3 in Cebu City – jampacked as passengers rush to catch their boat ride home. — Joel Locsin/LBG, GMA N