You are here

Feed aggregator

Comedian Gary Lising found dead by son in condo

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 13:33
    MANILA, Philippines -- One of the country's top comedians, Gary Lising, was found dead in his condo unit yesterday, May 31, by his only son, Bugsy, a source told Inquirer.   "He hasn't been well lately," the source said, adding that Bugsy went to Lising's house after the latter was unable to return calls and text messages.   In an interview with this reporter in 2013, Lising said he suffered a heart attack in 2009 and underwent angioplasty more than once in 2012. (Editor: Mike U. Frialde)    ...

Keep on reading: Comedian Gary Lising found dead by son in condo
Categories: Breaking News

Ormoc agri office checking crown-of-thorn starfish in city’s waters

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 13:13
  ORMOC CITY --- The Animal Production and Fisheries Division of the City Agriculture Office (CAO) is now scouring the sea off the coastal barangays of the city to determine the gravity of the poisonous crown-of-thorn starfish (COTS) in the area.   Irish Belmonte, section head of the Fishery and Development Section, said they extracted 29 large size COTS at small corals in Barangay Ipil, during a dive with fellow divers on Friday.   She said they have to see the magnitude of the presence of the COTS in the city because there was already an outbreak here in 2011.      ...

Keep on reading: Ormoc agri office checking crown-of-thorn starfish in city’s waters
Categories: Breaking News

Hong Kong to cull 4,700 pigs after second swine fever case found

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 13:13
HONG KONG, China --- Hong Kong will cull 4,700 pigs after African swine fever was detected in an animal at a slaughterhouse close to the border with China, the second such case in a month in the crowded financial hub. The animal came from a farm in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong and importation from mainland China has been suspended until further notification, Sophia Chan, Secretary of the city's Food and Health Department said Friday night. The government-run slaughterhouse in Sheung Shui will be closed for cleansing and disinfection, she added. Last month around 6,000 pigs were culled after the virus was detected in a pig imported from a farm in the same province...

Keep on reading: Hong Kong to cull 4,700 pigs after second swine fever case found
Categories: Breaking News

How Trump’s Mexico threat imperils his own economic agenda

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 13:11
WASHINGTON --- President Donald Trump's vow to impose new tariffs on Mexican imports risks sabotaging not just his drive to forge more favorable trade deals but also a U.S. economy that he says has strengthened under his watch. Trump's announcement Thursday that he would impose a 5% tax on all Mexican imports on June 10 --- and raise it to 25% by Oct. 1 --- unless Mexico stopped a surge of Central American migrants into the U.S. would swell the prices Americans pay for countless items from avocadoes to clothes to medical devices. His threat, which drew an outcry from a broad span of business groups and political figures, suddenly cast doubt on prospects for a new North American...

Keep on reading: How Trump’s Mexico threat imperils his own economic agenda
Categories: Breaking News

Marcos camp ‘fully supports’ Duterte call to junk Smartmatic

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 13:09
    MANILA, Philippines --- The camp of former Senator Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. on Saturday said it "fully supports" the call of President Rodrigo Duterte to "dispose" Smartmatic as the provider of vote-counting machines (VCMs) in future Philippine automated elections.   "So the statement made by the president in Tokyo that [the] Smartmatic contract should be abandoned, rescinded or terminated or not be renewed, we are in full support of the call of the President," Marcos spokesperson Atty. Vic Rodriguez said in a Quezon City media forum.   While on his four-day working visit to Japan, Duterte urged the Commission on Elections (Comelec...

Keep on reading: Marcos camp ‘fully supports’ Duterte call to junk Smartmatic
Categories: Breaking News

Number of foreigners arrested in Metro spikes; Chinese top list

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 12:44
  MANILA, Philippines -- There is a spike in the number of foreign nationals arrested in Metro Manila over the last three years, records from National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) have showed.   According to the NCRPO, 806 foreign nationals were taken under police custody in 2018 as compared to 660 in 2017 and 745 in 2016.   For three consecutive years, data from the NCRPO also showed that most of the foreigners were arrested for complaints of malicious mischief resulting in damage to property. Specifically, 232 were arrested in 2016 and 232 in 2017 while 268 were arrested last year for the offense, police said.   NCRPO chief Maj. Gen. Gui...

Keep on reading: Number of foreigners arrested in Metro spikes; Chinese top list
Categories: Breaking News

Robert Pattinson picked as the new Batman—report

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 12:24
Robert Pattinson has been chosen as the new Batman, beating out several other actors, including Nicholas Hoult, to play the Caped Crusader, Variety said Friday. The 33-year-old "Twilight" heartthrob is set to play the vigilante superhero in a standalone movie called "The Batman," under the direction of Matt Reeves, who was behind the last two "Planet of the Apes" sequels, the entertainment magazine said. Filming is slated to start in the coming months with a release date expected in June 2021. A Warner Bros. spokesperson would not confirm the news to AFP, saying only: "I can confirm that we are in negotiations." Pattinson's agent did not immediately respond to requests for c...

Keep on reading: Robert Pattinson picked as the new Batman—report
Categories: Breaking News

Shooter had a long gunbattle with 4 officers

CNN Top Stories - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 12:19
The four officers who confronted a shooter inside a Virginia Beach city building engaged in a "long gunbattle" with the gunman, and helped stop him from committing more carnage, the police chief said.
Categories: Breaking News

Forest guards confiscate illegal logs abandoned at Angat forest

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 12:18
NORZAGARAY, Bulacan -- About P200,000 worth of illegally cut timber were seized on May 30 by forest guards manning the Angat Dam Watershed, a belated report says.   The 2,350 board feet of white and red lauan were abandoned by unidentified men who fled when they were confronted by the forest guards at Sitio Macaingalan, Barangay (village) Puray at Rodriguez town in Rizal province, said Ramil Gata, head of the National Power Corporation Angat Watershed Area Team (AWAT), which had been undertaking search operations there since May 29.   Gata said the haul was their sixth confiscation this year.   Napocor manages the watershed of Angat Dam which suppli...

Keep on reading: Forest guards confiscate illegal logs abandoned at Angat forest
Categories: Breaking News

Ryan Agoncillo on his ‘that’s when I knew’ moment with Judy Ann Santos

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 12:15
Ryan Agoncillo has a knack for eloquently stringing words especially when it comes to narrating his love story with wife, Judy Ann Santos. The actor and TV host shared anecdotes from early on in their relationship in an Instagram post on Friday, May 31. Agoncillo accompanied the stories with a portrait of Santos sitting on steps in front of an apartment. He recalled motorcycle rides after her tapings and how her star power did not faze her from doing menial tasks when help was needed. "I was maybe 26, Mom and I were only really starting to get to know each other.I'd pick her up from 1 of her movie sets, we'd ride a motorcycle thru fog and a thunderstorm just to hang," Agoncillo rec...

Keep on reading: Ryan Agoncillo on his ‘that’s when I knew’ moment with Judy Ann Santos
Categories: Breaking News

The ‘other’ Tiananmen: 30 years ago, protests engulfed China

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 11:51
CHENGDU, China --- Karl Hutterer stood on the rooftop of his hotel and watched as Chinese police fired tear gas into the square and truncheon-wielding security forces moved in under the cover of night in June 1989. He was not anywhere near Tiananmen Square. Hutterer was more than 1,800 kilometers away in the southwestern city of Chengdu, one of many where thousands of citizens took to the streets during the tumultuous spring that shook China three decades ago. Beijing was the epicenter of student-led protests, with hundreds or possibly more than 1,000 killed by soldiers on June 4, 1989. But Hutterer's testimony is a reminder that large-scale demonstrations had erupted all ar...

Keep on reading: The ‘other’ Tiananmen: 30 years ago, protests engulfed China
Categories: Breaking News

Kenny Rogers admitted to hospital, treated for dehydration

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 11:47
NASHVILLE, Tennesse --- Entertainer Kenny Rogers has been admitted to a Georgia hospital for dehydration, according to his official Twitter account. A statement posted Friday said he would remain there for physical therapy to "get his strength back" before being discharged. The statement said the 80-year-old singer and actor appreciated the well wishes from fans and wanted to assure everyone that "he plans on sticking around through the years to come." The husky-voiced balladeer retired from touring in 2017 after a 60-year career spanning jazz, folk, country and pop, with hits like "The Gambler," ''Lucille" and "Lady."...

Keep on reading: Kenny Rogers admitted to hospital, treated for dehydration
Categories: Breaking News

Report: US preparing antitrust probe of Google

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 11:11
  SAN FRANCISCO -- The US Department of Justice is preparing an antitrust investigation of internet titan Google, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday. The Journal cited unnamed sources close to the matter as saying the department would look into Google practices related to web search and other businesses. Justice department officials share antitrust oversight with the Federal Trade Commission, which conducted a wide-ranging investigation of its own into Alphabet-owned Google that ended in 2013 with no action taken. Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A new investigation would come as backlash grows against major tech companies that domi...

Keep on reading: Report: US preparing antitrust probe of Google
Categories: Breaking News

D-Day ceremony spotlights Trump’s complicated military ties

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 10:56
NEW YORK --- World leaders will gather in solemn assembly next week above the sandy beaches of Normandy to mark the 75th anniversary of the world-changing D-Day invasion of France. It's typically a heartfelt tribute to alliance and sacrifice and a unified vow for enduring unity, outweighing any national or political skirmish of the moment. That's what has some U.S. veterans and others worried about President Donald Trump's attendance. The president has shown a repeated willingness to inject nationalistic rhetoric and political partisanship into moments once aimed at unity. For Trump, there is no water's edge for politics, no veneer of nonpartisanship around military or national se...

Keep on reading: D-Day ceremony spotlights Trump’s complicated military ties
Categories: Breaking News

Navy acknowledges request regarding USS John S. McCain made for Trump visit

CNN Top Stories - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 10:55
The US Navy acknowledged Friday that a request had been made regarding the USS John S. McCain in relation to President Donald Trump's visit to Japan, but said the ship ended up remaining in its normal configuration.
Categories: Breaking News

2 soldiers hurt in Cotabato City ambush

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 10:53
COTABATO CITY --- Two off-duty soldiers were critically injured in a daylight ambush along the busy Sinsuat Avenue here on Friday, the military said.   Police identified the victims as Private First Class Clyde A. Najera, 25, of Kapatagan, Zamboanga del Sur; and Private First Class Rico R. Zamora, 22, of Sta. Maria, Zamboanga del Sur.   Both are members of the Philippine Army's 549th Engineering Brigade based in Camp Siongco, Barangay Awang, Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao.   The soldiers were riding tandem on board a motorcycle (Yamaha Sniper 150) heading toward downtown area past noon on Friday, May 31, when shot in the head by gunmen on separate motorbi...

Keep on reading: 2 soldiers hurt in Cotabato City ambush
Categories: Breaking News

‘Tank man’ photographer urges China to open up on Tiananmen

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 10:49
  ALHAMBRA, Calif. --- The American photographer who shot the iconic image of a man standing in front of tanks at the 1989 Tiananmen protests says it's time for the Chinese government to come clean about the bloody events of 30 years ago.   Jeff Widener was an Associated Press photo editor based in Bangkok when he was called in to help cover a growing student-led pro-democracy movement centered on Beijing's Tiananmen Square.       The day after the military crushed the protests on June 3-4, Widener took the shot of an unknown man holding shopping bags facing a row of tanks. The photo of "tank man" became one of the most famous images ...

Keep on reading: ‘Tank man’ photographer urges China to open up on Tiananmen
Categories: Breaking News

China warns Canada of ‘consequences’ of helping US

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 10:42
BEIJING --- China warned Canada that it needs to be aware of the consequences of aiding the U.S. in an extradition case involving Chinese tech giant Huawei that is believed to have sparked the detentions of two Canadians in China. Foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang's comments came after U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called for the release of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor. Both were arrested on Dec. 10 after Canada detained a Huawei executive wanted by the United States on fraud charges. While China has denied they were taken in retaliation, it has repeatedly implied that there is a strong connection between the cases. Korvi...

Keep on reading: China warns Canada of ‘consequences’ of helping US
Categories: Breaking News

Trump to make 2020 bid official – again – at Florida rally

Inquirer Breaking News - Sat, 06/01/2019 - 10:39
WASHINGTON --- President Donald Trump says he will be announcing his reelection campaign next month in Orlando, Florida. Trump tweeted Friday that he will hold a June 18 rally and will be joined by first lady Melania Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and Pence's wife, Karen. The kickoff event is symbolic, coming a week before thefirst Democratic presidential debates. Trump formalized his reelection effort hours after he was sworn in on Jan. 20, 2017, held his first rally in Florida four weeks later and has already raised more than $130 million for his 2020 effort....

Keep on reading: Trump to make 2020 bid official – again – at Florida rally
Categories: Breaking News

Pages

Subscribe to seafarertimes.com aggregator