You are here

Breaking News

Taiwan to quarantine foreign workers to control COVID-19 spike at tech firm

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 17:28
    TAIPEI -- All foreign workers at a plant of major Taiwanese chip packager King Yuan Electronics in Taiwan's northern city of Miaoli will be quarantined as health workers try to stop an outbreak of COVID-19 there, the government said on Sunday. While cases had been concentrated in Taipei and neighbouring New Taipei, health authorities are now trying to stop an outbreak at two chip packagers in Miaoli, King Yuan and Greatek Electronics, as well as ethernet switch maker Accton Technology Corp. The government said the quarantine would only apply to King Yuan, where most of the Miaoli infections have happened. King Yuan did not immediately respond to a request for...

Keep on reading: Taiwan to quarantine foreign workers to control COVID-19 spike at tech firm
Categories: Breaking News

10 nabbed at Samar police checkpoint with guns, ammunition

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 17:23
  TACLOBAN CITY -- At least 10 men were arrested at a police checkpoint in San Jorge town, Samar for alleged possession of several firearms and ammunition on Saturday, June 5. Based on the report of the local police, the suspects were on board two separate vehicles when they were flagged down at the checkpoint located in Barangay Poblacion I at around 6:30 p.m. The suspects then presented several documents, including a travel authority reportedly issued by Malacaang while claiming to be with the Office of the Presidential Adviser for Religious Affairs. "Seven of the suspects introduced themselves as high-ranking police and military officials. But when we validated th...

Keep on reading: 10 nabbed at Samar police checkpoint with guns, ammunition
Categories: Breaking News

US says it will no longer seize reporters’ records in leak probes

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 17:05
WASHINGTON -- The US government said Saturday it would stop secretly obtaining reporters' phone and email records during investigations into political leaks, ending a practice that was often criticized as undermining press freedom. The New York Times this week reported that under Donald Trump's administration and continuing under President Joe Biden, the Justice Department fought a covert legal battle to access email logs of four of its reporters in a hunt for leak sources. The Department of Justice said in a statement that "in a change to its longstanding practice -- (it) will not seek compulsory legal process in leak investigations to obtain source information from members of...

Keep on reading: US says it will no longer seize reporters’ records in leak probes
Categories: Breaking News

Death toll nears 22,000 in PH as 166 fatalities reported Sunday — DOH

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 17:03
MANILA, Philippines --- The total number of deaths due to COVID-19 nears the 20,000 mark after 166 new fatalities were logged on Sunday, the Department of Health (DOH) said. The total number of deaths is now at 21,898, or 1.72 percent of all cases. There are now a total of 1,269,478 cases after 7,228 new cases were reported. Of these cases, 59,337 or 4.7 percent of the total number of infections remain active, but most of them only have mild or no symptoms at 95.9 percent. Meanwhile, a total of 7,372 new recoveries were reported, bringing the total number of patients who recuperated to 1,188,243, or 93.6 percent of all cases. The Philippines ranked behind Indonesia in term...

Keep on reading: Death toll nears 22,000 in PH as 166 fatalities reported Sunday — DOH
Categories: Breaking News

Israel-Palestinian violence prompted ‘uncomfortable’ Israel-UAE conversations

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 17:01
    DUBAI -- Last month's Israeli-Palestinian violence triggered "uncomfortable conversations" between business partners in Israel and the United Arab Emirates just months after the countries normalised ties, the deputy mayor of Jerusalem told AFP. But the conversations were "open" and "everybody was very moderate and understanding", Fleur Hassan-Nahoum said. Speaking on the sidelines of a bilateral investment conference in Dubai, Hassan-Nahoum, co-founder of the UAE-Israel Business Council, also expressed hope that trade between the two countries would exceedthe billion-dollar mark in the coming year. The UAE in 2020 became only the third Arab country to est...

Keep on reading: Israel-Palestinian violence prompted ‘uncomfortable’ Israel-UAE conversations
Categories: Breaking News

‘Cruella’ sequel already in early development — reports

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 16:52
"Cruella" may have been released only about a week ago but Disney is already on a roll to make a sequel on it. As the crime comedy film approached its second week, the studio is already working on the early development of a sequel film for the revenge-bent villainess, as per The Hollywood Reporter on Friday, June 4. "We are very pleased with Cruella's box office success," a spokesperson for the company said in a statement. "We look forward to a long run as audiences continue to enjoy this fantastic film." The original film's director Craig Gillespie and its screenwriter Tony McNamara are expected to return for the sequel. It is unclear if Emma Stone, who played the fur-lovin...

Keep on reading: ‘Cruella’ sequel already in early development — reports
Categories: Breaking News

Delhi markets to resume on odd-even basis, metro to restart from Monday

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 16:50
  NEW DELHI -- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has announced the reopening of markets and other activities in the city from Monday. However, he said that the lockdown will continue. Kejriwal has said that the markets will open on an odd-even basis from Monday. "Delhi's Covid situation is now under control as below 500 new cases are reported and the daily positivity rate has reduced to 0.5 percent in the last 24 hours. In view of the third possible wave, the government has decided to continue the lockdown, but we are going to re-open markets and malls on an odd-even basis from Monday," Delhi CM said. The shops will remain open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Moreover t...

Keep on reading: Delhi markets to resume on odd-even basis, metro to restart from Monday
Categories: Breaking News

No new cases of COVID-19 among Filipinos abroad – DFA

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 16:49
  MANILA, Philippines --- No new cases of COVID-19 were recorded among overseas Filipinos, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Sunday. With no new cases, the total number of Filipinos overseas who are infected with COVID-19 remains at 19,878, as of June 6. This number includes 6,628 active cases, 12,056 recoveries, and 1,194 deaths. According to the DFA, COVID-positive Filipinos are located in 94 countries around the globe. Of those infected, 11,350 are in the Middle East and Africa, 4,022 are in the Asia-Pacific region, 3,522 in Europe, and 984 in the Americas. https://twitter.com/DFAPHL/status/1401437401642278913 Meanwhile, as of June 6, health...

Keep on reading: No new cases of COVID-19 among Filipinos abroad – DFA
Categories: Breaking News

2 PLM alumni conferred with Order of Lapu-Lapu for act of heroism

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 16:29
MANILA, Philippines --- Alumni of the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila were recognized by President Rodrigo Duterte for their heroic act in responding to a fire that erupted inside the Philippine General Hospital last month. Dr. Rodney Dofitas and Nurse Kathrina Bianca Macababbad were conferred the Order of Lapu-Lapu along with 8 others on Wednesday, June 2, for their quick action that saved the lives of patients in the government-run hospital in Manila after a storage unit on the third floor caught fire on May 15. Macababbad, who studied at the PLM College of Nursing, and her colleague Nurse Jomar Mallari ran back and forth the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit to transf...

Keep on reading: 2 PLM alumni conferred with Order of Lapu-Lapu for act of heroism
Categories: Breaking News

Black carbon speeding up melting of glaciers, posing water scarcity threat to millions, report finds

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 16:26
    KATHMANDU -- Black carbon deposits coming from industries, vehicles, and cooking practices aggravate climate change's adverse impacts to accelerate the melting of glaciers in the Himalayas, the Hindu Kush, and the Karakorum (HKHK) ranges, a new World Bank report has concluded. As countries around the globe mark 'World Environment Day' on Saturday, the findings come as another warning for Nepal and other countries of the HKHK mountain ranges, where impacts of climate change are becoming more visible in recent years. The HKHK region spans 2,400 kilometers across six nations---Afghanistan, Bhutan, China, India, Nepal, and Pakistan. The report, 'Glaciers of t...

Keep on reading: Black carbon speeding up melting of glaciers, posing water scarcity threat to millions, report finds
Categories: Breaking News

PH logs 59,337 active COVID-19 cases with 7,228 new infections

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 16:09
MANILA, Philippines --- The Philippines reported 7,228 new COVID-19 cases to bring the total caseload to 1,269,478, the Department of Health (DOH) reported on Sunday. Of these cases, 59,337 or 4.7 percent of the total number of infections are active, with 95.9 percent mostly mild or having no symptoms. A total of 7,372 cases were reported as recoveries, bringing the total number of recoveries to 1,188,243, or 93.6 percent of all cases. The total number of deaths meanwhile has reached 21,898 after 166 more deaths. Deaths form 1.72 percent of all the cases. According to the DOH said all laboratories were operational but three of them were not able to submit their data to th...

Keep on reading: PH logs 59,337 active COVID-19 cases with 7,228 new infections
Categories: Breaking News

‘Weight don’t win fights’ says Mayweather ahead of Paul bout

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 16:03
Floyd Mayweather will give up nearly 35 pounds (16 kg) to YouTube personality Logan Paul when they step into the ring for their exhibition fight at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami on Sunday but that is the only thing the undefeated five-weight division champion is conceding. The "ceremonial" weigh-in on Saturday produced no surprises with the 6 feet, 2 inches (1.88 m) Paul always going to have an advantage on the scales coming in at 189.5 lbs with the 5-foot, 8-inch (1.73 m) Mayweather checking in at 155 lbs. https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1401299544848191495?s=20 If there was a surprise, it was that the often outrageous Paul played the weigh-in straight, no doubt disa...

Keep on reading: ‘Weight don’t win fights’ says Mayweather ahead of Paul bout
Categories: Breaking News

BOC seizes P4 million worth of misdeclared cigarettes

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 15:41
MANILA, Philippines --- The Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Sunday seized a shipment of misdeclared cigarettes with an estimated value of P4 million bound to Australia. According to the BOC Port of NAIA, the shipment contained some 2,520 reams of cigarettes that were declared as paper hand towels. A local company based in Novaliches Quezon City commissioned the shipment for export to South Geelong, Victoria, Australia, according to the BOC. BOC District Collector Carmelita M. Talusan issued a warrant of seizure and detention for the seized cigarettes for violation of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act, as well as the Memorandum Circular No. 003 series of 2019 of the Nationa...

Keep on reading: BOC seizes P4 million worth of misdeclared cigarettes
Categories: Breaking News

2 men nabbed in Oriental Mindoro drug buy-bust

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 15:33
CITY OF CALAPAN -- Two men were arrested in a drug buy-bust operation early morning Sunday in Pinamalayan town in Oriental Mindoro province, police report said. Marvin Rivamonte, 36, was arrested by police while selling a plastic sachet of suspected shabu (crystal meth) to a poseur buyer in exchange for P500 at 12:45 p.m. in Barangay (village) Marfrancsico, Pinamalayan police said in a report. Two more sachets of suspected shabu were confiscated from Rivamonte's cohort Jorge Fadullo, 30, during the subsequent search. The suspected shabu weighed about .096 gram and was worth about P1,800. Also seized from the suspects, who are both residents of Barangay del Razon, were a cellp...

Keep on reading: 2 men nabbed in Oriental Mindoro drug buy-bust
Categories: Breaking News

WATCH: Coach Chito Victolero on Magnolia training, Calvin Abueva, Pingris departure

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 15:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6TkgBonHu8 Magnolia coach Chito Victolero talks to SportsIQ about the Hotshots' preparations as the PBA awaits go-signal for Season 46, having Calvin Abueva on board, and Marc Pingris' departure from the team.    ...

Keep on reading: WATCH: Coach Chito Victolero on Magnolia training, Calvin Abueva, Pingris departure
Categories: Breaking News

Sri Lanka recovers black box from sinking ship

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 15:29
  COLOMBO -- A black box from a ship loaded with chemical and plastic that is sinking off Sri Lanka has been located, officials said Sunday, as investigators probe what caused the vessel to catch fire. The Voyage Data Recorder, also known as a maritime "black box", enables investigators to review procedures and instructions ahead of an accident. Sri Lankan authorities said they hope it will provide details of the ship's movements and its communications with the harbour in the capital Colombo, where it had been due to dock. "The navy facilitated technicians to remove the VDR from the bridge which is still above the waterline," navy spokesman Indika de Silva told AFP. ...

Keep on reading: Sri Lanka recovers black box from sinking ship
Categories: Breaking News

94-year-old woman graduates high school 79 years after dropping out

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 15:20
A 94-year-old woman in Alabama, United States was awarded an honorary high school diploma 79 years since she dropped out due to World War II. Grace Lee McClure Smith attended her high school graduation on Wednesday, June 2. Her granddaughter Erin Wilson was the one who worked on getting her the honorary diploma as a surprise, according to ABC affiliate WAAY on the same day. The graduation rites took place at Hazel Green High School, where Smith received her diploma in a room full of her great-grandchildren, siblings and other family members. "I am so grateful, thank you so much. It's better late than never, isn't it," Smith said during an interview. The school's assis...

Keep on reading: 94-year-old woman graduates high school 79 years after dropping out
Categories: Breaking News

Biden says will stand with European allies ahead of Putin summit

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 15:20
  WASHINGTON -- The United States will stand with its European allies against Russia, President Joe Biden has promised ahead of the first face-to-face meeting with Vladimir Putin of his administration. Biden will head to Europe Wednesday, and is set to attend both the G-7 and NATO summits as well as holding a high-stakes meeting with the Russian leader in Geneva on June 16. The summit comes amid the biggest crisis in ties between the two countries in years, with tensions high over a litany of issues including hacking allegations, human rights and claims of election meddling. In an op-ed for the Washington Post published Saturday, the US president promised to shore up...

Keep on reading: Biden says will stand with European allies ahead of Putin summit
Categories: Breaking News

Federer to assess further participation at Roland Garros

Inquirer Breaking News - Sun, 06/06/2021 - 15:15
PARIS - Roger Federer has said he will assess his further participation in the ongoing French Open after a grueling 7-6(5) 6-7(3) 7-6(4) 7-5 win over Germany's Dominik Koepfer on an empty Court Philippe Chatrier in Saturday's night match. The 20-time Grand Slam champion was competing in only his sixth match in 17 months following knee surgery and suggested after the third-round clash which ended past midnight that he could preserve himself for Wimbledon which begins on June 28. Asked how much he would want to push himself through the whole tournament, the 39-year-old Swiss told reporters: "We go through these matches... we analyze them highly and look on what's next and we'll d...

Keep on reading: Federer to assess further participation at Roland Garros
Categories: Breaking News

Pages

Subscribe to seafarertimes.com aggregator - Breaking News