You are here

Japan Rescued Missing Pinoy Ship Crew Member

Japan Rescued Missing Ship Crew Member
September 3rd, 2020

Japan’s Coast Guard @JCG_koho have rescued 1 Filipino crew member after a Panamanian cargo ship carrying 41 others went missing. @MarineTraffic data shows high waves and strong winds due to Typhoon #Maysak at the time. More @business: #台風の影響 (Source: QuickTake)

1 of 39 Filipino seamen in missing ship off Japan found alive, search and rescue ops still on
By CNN Philippines Staff Sep 3, 2020

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 3) — One of the 39 Filipino crew members of the missing Panamanian-flagged livestock ship off Japan's waters in the East China Sea has already been rescued, the Department of Affairs said Thursday.

The DFA made the confirmation, in coordination with the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo and the Philippine Consulate General in Osaka.

"One Fil crewmember was found adrift at sea but alive. He is Chief Officer Edwardo Sareno," Beth Estrada, a labor official at the Philippine Consulate in Osaka, reported. "The Japanese Coast Guard continues to search for other missing crew using 4 rescue patrol boats, 2 airplanes and divers from the Haneda Airbase Special Rescue Team."

DFA also confirmed that the vessel Gulf Livestock 1 made a distress signal early Wednesday morning from Amami Oshima Island in Kagoshima Prefecture before it had gone missing.

It added that the Consulate General in Osaka is still monitoring the situation, and will continue its search and rescue mission prior to worsening threats brought by Typhoon Maysak.

Four other foreign crew members were on board the ship, so 42 remain missing. The other crew members include two New Zealanders, one Australian and one Singaporean, Estrada added.

The DFA Office of the Undersecretary for Migrant Workers' Affairs and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office in Osaka are also closely coordinating with local manning agency Korpil Ship Management and Manning Corp., in charge of the employment of the Filipino seafarers.

A sister of one of the Filipino crew, who refused to be named, told CNN Philippines that she was still speaking to her brother over the phone at around 1:00 a.m. on Wednesday until they lost communication.

After losing contact, she said she could not reach the other Filipino seamen onboard, until the manning agency confirmed the incident that occurred amid strong winds in the area due to Typhoon Maysak.

Some foreign news outfits earlier reported that Gulf Livestock 1 was carrying 5,800 head of cattle en route to China from New Zealand.

This is a developing story and will be updated.