You are here

Pinoys relieve MV Hilma Bulker's Indonesian crew at Port of Manila

MV Hilma Bulker arrived for crew change
Genivi Verdejo May 27, 2021

MV Hilma Bulker arrived at the Port of Manila on Wednesday from Indonesia to replace the Indonesian crew with the all Filipino crew.

MV Hilma Bulker was manned by 18 Indonesian crew to bring the ship safely to Manila to be boarded by all Filipino crew. Prior to its arrival in Cilacap, Indonesia on 25 April 2021, the ship traveled to Cochin and Kandla in India from 25 March to 17 April for various bunkering and cargo operations.

The Department of Transportation (DOTr)'s attached agencies Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA), Philippine Ports Authority (PPA), the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and the Office for Transportation Security (OTS) together with the agency members of the One-Stop Shop (OSS) Port of Manila implemented strict health and security measures upon the arrival of "MV Hilma Bulker" in the Port of Manila on Wednesday at 9 am.

The DOTr maritime sector was fully equipped and in full force in handling crew changes in the country. The OSS Port of Manila members provided support to ensure that health and safety procedures were followed.

The Indonesian crew have disembarked and are now in an undisclosed quarantine facility. They were considered as individuals who have been exposed to the virus, despite testing negative for COVID-19. They still need to undergo the required procedures pursuant to existing health protocols and the 10 -day quarantine period. Those seafarers who will exhibit symptoms or test positive of COVID-19 will be transferred to a dedicated hospital assigned by the Bureau of Quarantine (BOQ).

BOQ has prepared the necessary measures during the disembarkation. Once the ship has been thoroughly disinfected, crew change will be conducted.

Meanwhile, 14 out of the 20 original Filipino crew of the said ship, tested positive for the Indian variant of COVID-19 in Indonesia. Seven have fully recovered and were given clearance by Indonesian authorities while six were awaiting clearance from the hospital, and one died of the disease.

The six who tested negative in Indonesia already arrived via air in Clark on May 18 and were completing their mandatory quarantine and testing procedures.