You are here

Authorities continue to investigate cargo ship fire

Authorities continue to investigate cargo ship fire
Morexette Marie B. Erram | April 18,2022

CEBU CITY, Philippines – Investigation is still ongoing to shed light on the tragedy that occurred in the middle of the sea in Talisay City, Cebu on Easter Sunday, April 17.

The Philippine Coast Guard in Central Visayas (PCG-7) on Monday, April 18, said authorities are still trying to determine the cause of the fire that hit MV General Romulo, a cargo vessel, while it was anchored within the seawaters of Barangay Pooc, Talisay City.

PCG-7 also clarified earlier reports that the ship was sailing towards the port of Cebu City when the incident happened.

Lieutenant Junior Grade (LTJG) Krysta Bergantin, PCG-7 spokesperson, said investigators believed that the fire may have originated from the vessel’s engine room.

“Wala pa mi final investigation pero based sa initial nato, naay shipswork nahitabo… Ongoing atong investigation pa kung unsay cause sa pagkasunog pero ang initial naa gyuy shipswork gibuhat sa engine. So dunay gitrabaho didto,” Bergantin told reporters in a press conference on Monday.

“Mao na atong objective run, dinhi sa Philippine Coast Guard, kung unsa gyuy cause ato,” she added.

Bergantin also said they are still computing the total costs of damage incurred on MV General Romulo, a container ship owned and operated by Lorenzo Shipping Corp.

The tragedy resulted in the death of a 62-year-old crew member identified as Nelson Polvorosa, the ship’s 2nd Engineer.

Three other crew members also sustained injuries and are still confined for treatment in a public hospital in Talisay City as of Monday, PCG-7 added.

The ill-fated ship came from Manila carrying over 2,200 tons of various cargo, and 23 individuals of which 20 happened to be its crew.

The remaining three were contractors for the shipping company, said PCG-7.

In the meantime, Bergantin said they found no traces indicating of oil spill within the ship.

She also said authorities and the company that owned the vessel are still conducting boundary cooling, a method used to make sure flames won’t reignite on a burnt ship.