You are here

Feed aggregator

Beijing expels three Wall Street Journal reporters

CNN Top Stories - 1 hour 4 min ago
The Chinese government announced Wednesday that it would revoke the press credentials of three Wall Street Journal reporters, the largest such expulsion of overseas media from the country in recent years.
Categories: Breaking News

No nudes: New Japanese smartphone has AI prohibiting taking naked photos

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 5 min ago
A Japanese smartphone company has decided to create a family-friendly smartphone that does not allow the taking of naked photos. Priced at 19,800 yen (around P9,000), Tone Mobile's new phone, Tone e20, comes with an artificial intelligence system behind the new feature called "Smartphone Protection," as per IT Media via Sora News yesterday, Feb. 17. This AI system does not protect the phone from viruses or hackers, however, but rather protects the user by working with the smartphone's camera to detect "inappropriate" images. The phone company did not explicitly state to what extent the AI deems an image as inappropriate, but they have announced that this will not allow users...

Keep on reading: No nudes: New Japanese smartphone has AI prohibiting taking naked photos
Categories: Breaking News

Elton John cancels New Zealand shows as he battles pneumonia

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 5 min ago
Elton John canceled his two remaining New Zealand shows late Tuesday as he continued to suffer from a bout of pneumonia. The shows have been rescheduled for next year. Earlier this week, John needed to cut short a performance in Auckland after he lost his voice and needed medical help on stage. John said in a statement Tuesday he was "incredibly disappointed" and sent his sincerest apologies to his fans. He said that at this stage, he is planning to play his scheduled shows in Australia, which is where his farewell tour moves to next. Video clips posted online by fans at Sunday night's performance showed John breaking down in tears as he told the cheering crowd he could not ...

Keep on reading: Elton John cancels New Zealand shows as he battles pneumonia
Categories: Breaking News

New virus has infected more than 75,000 people globally

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 8 min ago
A viral outbreak that began in China has infected more than 75,000 people globally. The World Health Organization has named the illness COVID-19, referring to its origin late last year and the coronavirus that causes it. The latest figures reported by each government's health authority as ofWednesday in Beijing: --- Mainland China:2,004 deaths among 74,185 cases, mostly in the central province of Hubei --- Hong Kong: 62 cases, 2 deaths --- Macao: 10 --- Japan: 614 cases, including 542 from a cruise ship docked in Yokohama, 1 death --- Singapore: 81 --- South Korea: 51 --- Thailand: 35 --- Malaysia: 22 --- Taiwan: 22 cases, 1 death --- Vietnam: 16 --...

Keep on reading: New virus has infected more than 75,000 people globally
Categories: Breaking News

White House correspondents’ dinner returns to comedic roots

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 12 min ago
Comedians are making their return to the White House Correspondents' Dinner after last year's hiatus. Kenan Thompson of "Saturday Night Live" and Hasan Minhaj of Netflix's "Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj" will headline this year's dinner, which takes place April 25. Presidents and first ladies have traditionally attended the dinner, which serves as a celebration of the First Amendment as well as a fundraiser for college scholarships. Reporting awards are given out as well. But President Donald Trumphas skipped the dinnerthroughout his presidency and instead has elected to hold campaign rallies. Just four days before last year's dinner, the White House announced that administr...

Keep on reading: White House correspondents’ dinner returns to comedic roots
Categories: Breaking News

After inclusion in Duterte’s ‘narcolist’, Espenido says politicians now after him

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 13 min ago
MANILA, Philippines --- After his inclusion in the government's drug watchlist was made public, Lt. Col. Jovie Espenido, who became the prototype agent of President Rodrigo Duterte's bloody drug war, on Wednesday claimed that politicians affected by his job as a policeman are running after him.   In a press briefing at the Bacolod City Police Office, Espenido was asked who he thinks wanted his downfall as he raised questions on who might have caused his inclusion in the drugs watchlist of the President. "That kind of question I cannot really pinpoint but this is one thing I can tell you. Mga tao (Certain people), number one... greed, a greedy kind of person. Number one, politic...

Keep on reading: After inclusion in Duterte’s ‘narcolist’, Espenido says politicians now after him
Categories: Breaking News

'Flying cellphone towers' could bring internet coverage to everyone

CNN Top Stories - 1 hour 15 min ago
Tech giants including Google and Facebook have spent years trying to figure out how to bring the internet to billions of people who still lack a reliable connection. Now, an American startup has come up with its own plan.
Categories: Breaking News

Cavaliers, coach John Beilein splitting after just 54 games

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 16 min ago
CLEVELAND --- Cavaliers first-year coach John Beilein will end a rough season by stepping down after 54 games, according to multiple reports Tuesday night. The former Michigan coach, who was a surprising hire by the Cavs last year because of his age (67) and lack of any pro experience, is expected to say goodbye to staff and players Wednesday when they return from the All-Star break, ESPN.com reported, citing anonymous league sources. Beilein signed a five-year contract --- the final year was a club option --- in May. ESPN said he and the Cavs negotiated a financial settlement that will pay him a portion of the remaining money on his 2019-20 contract. Cleveland is just 14-40...

Keep on reading: Cavaliers, coach John Beilein splitting after just 54 games
Categories: Breaking News

The world through the eyes of one photographer

CNN Top Stories - 1 hour 20 min ago
Whether traveling through the vast floodplains of Africa or Thailand's lush mangrove forests, when photographer Michael Poliza explores the world, he practices one principle: take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints.
Categories: Breaking News

Bong happy ‘Parasite’ succeeded despite disparity it showed

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 21 min ago
Oscar-winning "Parasite" director Bong Joon-ho said Wednesday the film's "biggest pleasure and the most significant meaning" to him is that it succeeded even though the audiences might feel uncomfortable with his explicit description of bitter wealth disparity in modern society. Bong's dark comic thriller about two families on the opposite ends of South Korea's social spectrum is a history-making film. It won best picture at this month's 92nd Academy Awards ceremony, becoming the first non-English-language film to get the top honor. Bong and his film clinched three other Oscars. Bong told reporters that the movie's story has not only "funny, comic" elements but also "bitter, pa...

Keep on reading: Bong happy ‘Parasite’ succeeded despite disparity it showed
Categories: Breaking News

Ginebra just has to ‘find ways to win’ without Slaughter

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 21 min ago
MANILA, Philippines---Barangay Ginebra has started a new chapter without Greg Slaughter, who announced he was taking a sabbatical from the team following the expiration of his contract. The Gin Kings, who are fresh off their 2019 PBA Governors' Cup conquest, held their first practice on Wednesday two weeks before the 2020 Philippine Cup opening. Head coach Tim Cone was mum about the big man's departure and begged off from interviews, but veteran point guard LA Tenorio said that the team will just have to find other ways to win without their seven-foot center. "I don't have a comment on his situation and the only thing I can say is I personally respect his decision and whatev...

Keep on reading: Ginebra just has to ‘find ways to win’ without Slaughter
Categories: Breaking News

3 men were found dead near a cemetery. Sheriff says it 'was a message'

CNN Top Stories - 1 hour 25 min ago
The bodies of three men found dead near a cemetery in Southern California have been identified, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said.
Categories: Breaking News

700 Mindanao priests gather in Malaybalay for reflection

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 26 min ago
MALAYBALAY CITY ---- Amid the threat of the novel coronavirus, more than 700 clergymen have gathered here since Monday to "listen to one another" and also reflect on "what is happening in Mindanao and the country." The three-day 44th Diocesan Clergy of Mindanao (DCM) convention pushed through amid an advisory from the Department of Health to refrain from activities that draw large crowds. Such advisory has led to the decision of the Bukidnon provincial government to cancel the much-awaited Kaamulan Festival for this year. "When we are working for God, there's nothing to fear. Although we are also working for the protection of our people," said DCM president Monsignor Ruel La...

Keep on reading: 700 Mindanao priests gather in Malaybalay for reflection
Categories: Breaking News

SMC open to MRT-7 redesign to address QC gov’t concern

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 28 min ago
Food, drinks and infrastructure conglomerate San Miguel Corp. (SMC) is open to redesigning part of the Metro Rail Transit Line 7 (MRT-7) after the Quezon City government ordered the suspension of construction in a landmark site. In a statement on Wednesday (Feb 19), SMC called for the speedy resolution of the issue with the local government, which said the construction of the MRT-7's Quezon Memorial Circle station would "affect the landmark's identity as a national heritage park". The MRT-7 is a 23-kilometer rail line that will link San Jose del Monte in Bulacan province and North Avenue in Quezon City at an estimated travel time of only 30 minutes compared to two hours by car. ...

Keep on reading: SMC open to MRT-7 redesign to address QC gov’t concern
Categories: Breaking News

24 persons cleared of COVID-19 threat in Zamboanga City

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 42 min ago
ZAMBOANGA CITY ---- Twenty-four persons, including a Chinese national, were cleared and their names deleted from a City Health Office (CHO) list of persons under monitoring for possible infection of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). City Health Officer Dulce Miravite said the 24 persons---all residents of the city---have even exceeded the mandatory 14-day quarantine period. They were placed under monitoring as they had current travels to China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan, territories which have COVID-19 infections. "All have no signs or symptoms of coronavirus disease," Miravite declared. Miravite said the 24 individuals subjected themselves to home quarantine, while...

Keep on reading: 24 persons cleared of COVID-19 threat in Zamboanga City
Categories: Breaking News

Solons thumb down proposal to regulate campaign spending

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 47 min ago
      MANILA, Philippines --- Several lawmakers in the House of Representatives expressed their disapproval on the proposal to regulate campaign spending of political parties and candidates in elections.   The regulation on campaign spending was among the proposed amendments of the Inter-agency Task Force on Federalism and Constitutional Reform (IATF) to the 1987 Constitution, which was tackled by the House committee on constitutional amendments on Wednesday.   Surigao del Sur Rep. Johnny Pimentel called the proposal "restrictive" and "unrealistic," noting that campaigns are expensive.   "[The proposal] is very restrictive, it ...

Keep on reading: Solons thumb down proposal to regulate campaign spending
Categories: Breaking News

WATCH: Filipino student Francisco Martin wows ‘American Idol’ judges despite nerves, makes it to Hollywood

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 48 min ago
After proving that he is a real contender in the popular singing contest "American Idol", an aspiring Filipino musician is going to Hollywood for the next level of the competition. The 18-year-old Francisco Martin overcame his nerves to serenade the show's high-caliber judges Lionel Richie, Katy Perry and Luke Bryan with a cover of Maggie Rogers's track "Alaska". The college student from San Francisco, California, shared that he has a problem with self-confidence during his personal interview for the show, uploaded on American Idol's official YouTube channel last Sunday, Feb. 16. The young musician was accompanied by his parents, Fatima and Jon. During his audition, Marti...

Keep on reading: WATCH: Filipino student Francisco Martin wows ‘American Idol’ judges despite nerves, makes it to Hollywood
Categories: Breaking News

DILG to LGUs: Strictly enforce ban on tricycles, pedicabs on highways

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 49 min ago
MANILA, Philippines --- The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Wednesday ordered local government units (LGUs) to strictly implement the ban on tricycles, pedicabs, and motorized pedicabs on national highways. Interior Secretary Eduardo Ao said that aside from this, LGUs should also create a tricycle task force that will draw-up a route plan for tricycles and pedicabs in their respective areas. "Local governments must review and modify tricycle routes according to the ban and are encouraged to include in their plans the construction of local roads or overpasses where the tricycles can operate," he said. Through DILG Memorandum Circular 2020-036, Ao also di...

Keep on reading: DILG to LGUs: Strictly enforce ban on tricycles, pedicabs on highways
Categories: Breaking News

Hong Kong sees second death as coronavirus claims 70-year-old

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 50 min ago
HONG KONG -- Hong Kong reported its second loss of life caused by a novel coronavirus on Wednesday, bringing the city's fatality tally to two. According to the Hospital Authority, a 70-year-old man died in Princess Margaret Hospital. The man, who lived alone in Kwai Ching Shek Lei II, was believed to have visited the Chinese mainland via Lok Ma Chau checkpoint on Jan 22. Health authorities were unable to ascertain the source of infection and believed that he likely contracted the virus locally. By the end of Tuesday, 62 confirmed cases, including one death, had been reported in the Hong Kong and four patients had been discharged after recovery. In addition to those cases,...

Keep on reading: Hong Kong sees second death as coronavirus claims 70-year-old
Categories: Breaking News

Novel coronavirus could peak in April but may return, says Hong Kong official

Inquirer Breaking News - 1 hour 51 min ago
HONG KONG - Executive Councilor Arthur Li Kwok-cheung said the novel coronavirus pneumonia is a highly contagious disease, and that's why it has infected so many people in such a short time --- but it is not too deadly. In his opinion, Hong Kong is doing quite well containing the virus as there have not been many new confirmed cases in recent days. He guessed the virus situation will reach a peak in April and subside in May or June with the arrival of summer. However, the virus will return because it is so infectious, he said. Li, a surgeon by training, was the Chinese University of Hong Kong's dean of the Faculty of Medicine from 1992 and then became the school's vice-chancell...

Keep on reading: Novel coronavirus could peak in April but may return, says Hong Kong official
Categories: Breaking News

Pages

Subscribe to seafarertimes.com aggregator